- This event has passed.
AAPF1: AAP Foundation Future Horizons in Periodontology: Peri-Implant and Periodontal Conditions: Emerging Science
November 4 @ 10:15 am - 11:15 am EDT
Program Track: Periodontal and Systemic Interrelationships
Metabolic Syndrome Associated Changes in the Subgingival Ecosystem
Vivek Thumbigere Math
Multiple Idiopathic Cervical Root Resorption: A Dental Enigma
Jeff CW. Wang
Peri-Implantitis Disease Biotyping with Prognostic Immunoscores for Precision Therapy
This course will consist of three speakers highlighting future directions and emerging concepts in periodontics. The speakers are faculty and practitioners who have benefitted from American Academy of Periodontology Foundation initiatives. Each speaker will give a 15-minute presentation followed by five minutes of discussion. The session will begin by addressing the limitations of using peri-implantitis clinical phenotypes for determining treatment modalities. This includes the spectrum of host response to various etiologic factors by disease biotyping. The second segment of this course will elucidate upon the compositional differences in the oral microbiome in patients with metabolic syndrome (MetS). The final segment will examine the clinical, radiographic, and histological manifestations of Multiple Idiopathic Cervical Root Resorption (MICRR).
- Describe how to deconvolute the peri-implant immune landscape with machine-learned deep-sequencing.
- Identify future diagnostics of immunoscore for risk stratification and predictable therapy.
- Explain the levels of various chemokines, cytokines, and adipokines in the subgingival environment of patients with MetS.
- Discuss the significant correlations in the host-microbial biomarkers in the periodontal environment in the patients with MetS.
- Recognize a novel Interferon Regulatory Factor 8 (IRF8) mutation associated with MICRR.
- Realize the critical role of IRF8 in regulating osteoclast differentiation and function.