- This event has passed.
2021 AAP Clinical Innovations and Periodontal Research Symposium sponsored by District 8
November 4, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am EDT
Maj Hyungjoo Kim, Air Force
Capt Marcela Land, Air Force
Owais Farooqi, Dept. of VA
LT Bethany Brooks, Navy
MAJ Aaron S. Pfaff, Army
LT Laura Kaye, Navy
MAJ April P. Bumpers, Army
LT Alex Long, Navy
CPT Sarah Vargas, Army
CPT Jennah C. Wagner, Army
Maj. Angela M. Synatzske, USAF
All registered participants are welcome to attend.
Periodontics residents from the Army, Air Force, and Navy, and speakers from the Department of Veterans Affairs, will provide a series of 10-minute research presentations.
The presentations cover a wide variety of clinical and basic science topics that advance the biologic rationale for contemporary therapies and suggest innovative methods for next generation treatment. This seminar includes presentations on basic science and clinical research.
Each speaker will have two minutes to answer questions following the presentation, with three minutes allotted for speaker transition.
- Examine the predominant methodology for assessing alveolar ridge augmentation outcomes reported in the literature and identify factors associated with reduction in the vertical alveolar ridge dimension following horizontal ridge augmentation procedures.
- Establish a differential diagnosis for a firm palatal swelling adjacent to a submerged dental implant in the posterior maxilla and describe the diagnostic criteria for neurofibromatosis type 1.
- Describe components commonly used between a dental implant platform and a fixed complete denture and how the anterior-posterior spread is significant.
- Compare evidence supporting perioperative corticosteroids in third molar versus periodontal surgery and discuss the optimal timing and route of administration for corticosteroids.
- Recognize possible complications following implantoplasty vs other peri-implantitis treatment, when to utilize implantoplasty and identify different implantoplasty techniques.
- Identify indications for when to do guided bone regeneration with a zirconia crib, how to design a zirconia crib, and expected outcomes following guided bone regeneration with a zirconia crib.
- Discuss clinical utilization of TeleDentistry/VA Video Connect to improve patient experience, communication, and access to dental care.
- Consider the impact of residual endodontic pathology on dental implant site preparation and the peri-endo considerations for implant healing adjacent to an extra-oral apicoectomy.
- Review the potential negative sequelae of root coverage procedures and treatment options for managing external resorption.